This week’s apparatus drill: splits squeezes! These are awesome for training your active split, which makes them a great drill to incorporate if you are working toward or maintaining your splits balance. They will also help your ground split active flexibility, and can be used as part of a warm-up for splits.
- Wrap traditional or eggbeater footlocks (or utilize straps handles). Place one hand on each pole with your hips turned toward either one (you will do both sides of course).
- Gently lower down into 70-80% of your (over)splits, keeping your legs engaged. Then squeeze your legs back towards each other and gently use your arms to pull back to standing.
- Point your toes and keep your hips pointing forward.
- The key is to not let the arms take over. Ask your legs to do the work sinking you down and drawing you back up, and let the arms be there for balance and gentle support.
- You could also do these alternating left-right-left-right instead of doing each side in its own set.
View this post on Instagram